Transferred Truck During 2290 Tax Year

The trucking industry is one of the vast industries in the nation and the activities to carry out here is more. Hence it needs some basic understanding before stepping into the trucking industry. There are many cases or scenarios that you need to come across when you are in this industry. Let us check out various scenarios one-by-one. As a first step, let us check the case when the truck is transferred during 2290 tax year.

Truck Transfer

How to handle when you transferred truck during the tax year?

This is one of the common questions, we hear in our customer support calls. The question is “how to handle the case when the truck (vehicle) is transferred to another individual/company during the tax year of 2290 ?” Here, let us assume that the IRS Form 2290 was filed under the new EIN and business name. Hence, in that return, you can claim the tax refund, which was paid under the previous EIN and business name.

To do so, you just need to call the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) directly and they can assist you throughout the entire process else you can check with the service provider to do it on behalf of you. The process is simple and it can be completed easily by an experienced service provider. All you need to do as a trucker is to follow the IRS rules and regulations while you are performing any vehicle-related actions.

Remember that, the IRS 2290 Form or the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax ( HVUT) should be filed before the end of the month following the transfer date of the vehicle or no later date of it. For instance, if you started a new business and began operating the vehicles under the new business name in the month of January, then you need to file the IRS 2290 Form, not later than February 28th. When you file later than the mentioned due date, the tax return is considered as a late payment by the IRS and may enforce IRS penalties and other charges.

What to do if you are a second-hand purchaser of the taxable vehicle?

On the other hand, if you are the purchaser of the second-hand truck, you may have the query whether to file the form 2290 or the previous owner of the vehicle must file it? When you purchase a second-hand vehicle, it does not transfer the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) from the previous owner to the current owner. In order to do that, you need to file the IRS 2290 Form separately and pay the tax returns on the taxable vehicle before the due date of the tax returns.

Hope this article gave few information related to the transferred vehicles which is done in during the 2290 tax year. For further information related to truck taxes or to get started with etax2290, click or contact our customer support team at 703-229-0326 or mail us at