The Tax Form 2290 corresponds to Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax. The tax Form corresponds to HVUT payments for the taxable vehicle that crosses a gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more. The due date for Form 2290 depends on the first use of the truck. For example, if the truck is on the road by July, its tax due date is August 31st of the next year. For vehicles that operate during other months of the year, the tax due date is the last date of the month, following the month of its first use.
The tax period for filing HVUT taxes begins on July 1st of the tax year and ends on June 30th. The IRS Form 2290 for the heavy vehicles should be filed by August 31st every year. Most truck owners prefer to pre-file tax Form 2290, to prevent last-minute rushes and hurdles. It prevents last-minute tensions during the peak filing season. Pre-filing offers ample scope for corrections and ensures that IRS receives the tax Form on time.
Pre-filing Tax Form 2290 for the tax year 2022-23
Pre-filing the IRS tax Form starts on May 21st, 2022, and the window will be open till June 30th, 2022. From July 1st, IRS will start receiving the actual tax Forms, till August 31st. There are many advantages to pre-filing the tax Forms,
- Pre-filing saves time and avoids the rush during the peak tax filing season.
- Pre-filing the tax form allows the truck owners to plan and collect all the information for filing the returns.
- By choosing to pre-file, you will get ample time to check the details in the form, clarify doubts, and review before submission.
- If your tax Form gets rejected by the IRS, you will have ample time to make corrections and re-submit without penalties.
Before pre-filing tax Form 2290, ensure you have all the necessary details, such as,
- Employer Identification Number (EIN) and business name
- Vehicle Identification Number
- Total number of vehicles you want to report and the taxable gross weight of the trucks together
- Tax period and the first use month of the vehicle
No, it is not mandatory to pre-file the returns, but it is highly recommended. Pre-filing avoids last-minute errors. Truck owners will get their Schedule 1 copy before everyone else. By choosing to pre-file the tax Form through a credible e-filing service provider like Tax2efile, it is possible to get frequent updates through text and emails. Their highly experienced customer support team, help resolve all queries and issues. Their highway use tax calculator will help calculate the tax amount.
Pre-filing tax Form 2290 with IRS, 2290 for heavy vehicles starts on May 21st, 2022. You can pre-file tax Form 2290 online at Tax2efile. It will remit the 2290 returns immediately when the IRS starts processing the Forms officially. You can thus prevent penalties and late fines and get your stamped Schedule 1 copy in the mail.