Need More Time to File Individual Income Tax Return? Use 4868 Extension

If you need more time to file your U.S individual income tax don’t worry, IRS will help you out. All you need to do is file the form 4868 and IRS will give 6 months of extra time to file the required form. However, you need to list your total liabilities and make a payment before April 15, which is the original due date. IRS will let you use the form 4868 to extend the individual tax return, this extension does not apply for the payment.

It is extremely easy to file the form 4868. The first step that you need to do is get an estimate of how much you owe IRS and make that payment before April 15, the best way to file is e-file since its less time consuming and easy. You can normally make a payment by eCheck which will ask for your account and routing number; EFTPS which is a payment system from IRS or you can mail in a check, which really defeats the purpose of e-filing.

If you are an owner of a sole proprietorship, a single-member limited liability or a 1099 contractor you do not need to file a separate extension. The form 4868 automatically will include the schedule C.

Keep in mind that in order to receive the automatic extension you need to submit the form 4868 prior to April 15. After October 15, which is the due date after the extension has been applied, IRS will not give another extension, and if the filling is not received a penalty will apply.